Let's Just Say Goodbye

I saw this image in someone else's year end blog report and it just felt so appropriate. As the year came to a close, I couldn't wait for 2010 to come to a close and 2011 to arrive with a clean slate and a fresh start. Of course this is talking from a running perspective; it was a very good year for my family, career, and general personal life. The problem is, my overall picture becomes tainted by my running results.

So why the dark shadow? As I wrote my goals last year, I was full of optimism for a great year; a year full of new mile totals and race goals. But that train was derailed before 2010 was even rung in. I spent the first 3-4 months of the year a knee injury from late 2010. Finally in late summer, I achieved 3 good months of training and the return of optimism. That, however, was short lived, as a calf strain brought a screeching halt to any thoughts of a big fall race. The injury wasn't major, but it was timed perfectly to dampen my optimism and plans. As I finally approached the end of the year, and the joy of just running was returning to my days, my hamstring has decided to do strange things and prevent me once again from hitting the roads. 

I have simple goals for 2011 - Listen to my body, Avoid injury and Stay healthy. Given the hamstring, I'm not starting off too well, but I'm resolved to stay focused on the bigger picture and not worry about any quantitative goals. If big things happen, great, but I don't want to let them become my focus.

With some smart decisions along they way, I hope that next year when I say goodbye to 2011, it will be with the desire for continuing success in the following year and not once again saying good riddance to the past year.

 Artist for Song in Title: David Sanborn

Comments

  1. Hang in there Joe. I sense optimism in your post. Wishing you all the best for 2011.

    -jeff

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Jeff. Even though I'm currently a little frustrated, you're right there is a calm and optimism.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

I'm Hurtin'

Happy Together

Travelin