Begin the Begin

In the last week I've finally been able to begin running again after what is basically a 3 month layoff. I've started an advanced return to running progression that my physical therapist gave me. It begins with some walk/run combinations to ease back into the effort. If all goes well, over the course of 7 weeks I will be able to run for about an hour. If it wasn't for the fact that I am on the roads at all, it would be somewhat discouraging, but the fact is, I am on the roads.

The good news is that my knee feels good while I'm running, although my left knee (from the injury when I was 14) as been a aggravated by some of the strengthening exercises. I do still feel a little soreness when I'm still for longer periods, but I can definitely sense progress. The worst part is my fitness. While my legs are holding up for about 3 miles in 30 minutes, my lungs are screaming. I don't think it matters what cross-training you do, there is a specificity requirement to performing an exercise activity.

I thankful that I have been able to get out and enjoy some of this warm spring doing what I enjoy. I actually got in about 10 miles last week! I know that doesn't seem like much compared to those wrapping up their spring half/full marathon training, but to me it's awesome! I've also been able to get out on my bike for a ride or two a week, but need more saddle time. I've been sore after spending that little bit of time in the saddle after a winter off. There again, specificity.

I'm not out of the woods yet, but I think I can see the light from the edge of the forest. The plan is to stick to the plan, but make sure that I don't go backwards.

Artist for Song in Title: R.E.M.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I'm Hurtin'

Happy Together

Travelin